Monday, March 24, 2014

I Love To Singa

I've thought for years about starting a blog, but kept getting stopped by the thought that I really don't have much to say.  What would I blog about that 33 million other bloggers haven't already blogged about?  So what is even slightly unusual about me?

And then the answer came to me. The answer that is the same as all the other answers in my life (okay, most of the other things) - MUSIC. 

To me, music is life. Always has been, always will be. And yes, I do love to sing, but not in public. Trust me, you're happier that way. But at the same time, I have musical tastes that are literally all over the map.  From Easy Listening to rock, from Big Band to vocal jazz.  About the only thing you can say is common to all of my favorite music is that it involves human voices. I love great guitar playing, but a guitar-only album will put me to sleep in no time. It's not about understanding the lyrics, I have many songs in my collection that aren't in English and I can't understand a damned word of!  It's just that to me, the perfect instrument for music is that human voice I mentioned up there.

The title of this blog comes from a wonderful Tex Avery cartoon from 1936 about an owl kid who wants to sing jazz instead of the classical music his parents want him to learn. Remember it?

If you want to see the cartoon, you can find it on Youtube. (I love cartoons too, but one blog at a time...)
So, back to the start - what do I blog about?  How about some of my favorite singers, talk a little about them, what I can learn about them on the web, what some of their great albums are, how I discovered them, what I like the most about them. I'll warn you right off the bat, I'm not generally a guy into "singles" - if I like something, chances are pretty good that I am going to want a bunch of them, so my emphasis has always been on albums.

One last thing for today - I don't plan to do this on any schedule, just when I get around to it. On some days, I may do two posts in a day, other times it may well be a couple of weeks between posts.  Or I may forget that I started this thing altogether. Who knows?  Well, let's find out!  See you next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment